Wow...we are 1/10 of the way through our journey with Luke. This week we covered the first two chapters of Luke's "orderly account" of the events of Jesus' life and ministry. More than the other three gospels, Luke spends a considerable amount of time describing the events that surrounded the birth of Jesus, and many of these elements are found only in Luke.
Here are a few examples -
- The Story of Zechariah, Elizabeth
- The Birth of John the Baptist
- The Story of Jesus' Birth (Angels & Shepherds!)
- The Songs of Zechariah and Mary
- The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple (Simeon & Anna)
- Jesus (age 12) and the Teachers of the Law in the Temple
These are powerful stories about Jesus that have shaped our understanding of his birth and early years in profound ways. Imagine if we did not have Luke's gospel. Image the rich beauty and wonder that would have been lost if Luke had not written is "orderly account" for future generations of Christians to read and study.
Next week our journey will continue as we read about the ministry of John the Baptist, the Baptism of Jesus and the beginning of his public ministry in Nazareth! Onward!